Kali Linux 2021.2 is the latest Kali rolling release that arrived a few days ago with Linux Kernel 5.10 LTS, default Xfce 4.16.2 desktop, new important tools, and tons of other enhancements.
New Features in Kali Linux 2021.2
Let’s discuss some core important features of the Kali Linux 2021.2 release.
Kaboxer to Package App In Container
Kali 2021.2 is the first version to feature a home-baked new Kali Applications Boxer v1.0, in short Kaboxer.
Packaging programs becomes very difficult when a program has complex dependencies or legacy libraries that are no longer available in the host system. Here comes Kaboxer, a Linux application that aims to help you package up programs properly using container technology.
Kali has also shipped three new applications packaged using Kaboxer tools such as Covenant framework, Firefox (Developer Edition) web browser, and Zenmap official graphical user interface (GUI) for the Nmap Security Scanner.
Kali-Tweaks to Easily Configure OS
Next, Kali Linux 2020.2 brings another brand new app called Kali-Tweaks v1.0. This app aims to help you customize Kali Linux easily as per your need.
As of now, you can use Kali-Tweaks for the following purposes:
- Installing or removing group of tools.
- Configuring network repositories for APT sources i.e. “bleeding-edge” and “experimental” branches.
- Managing the shell and command prompt..
- Configuring virtual machines..
New Tools in Kali Linux
Like every version release, the latest v2021.2 also comes with several new tools for ethical hackers and pentesters.
- CloudBrute – a cloud enumeration tool.
- Dirsearch – a CLI tool to brute force directories and files in web servers.
- Feroxbuster – a tool to perform forced browsing.
- Ghidra – reverse engineering framework.
- Pacu – AWS exploitation framework.
- Peirates – Kubernetes penetration tool.
- Quark-Engine – Android malware scoring system.
- Visual Studio Code – Open Source (Code-OSS).
Xfce4 Theme Changes
Kali has also made changes in the Xfce4 theme. It includes moving a quick launch try in the top left of the panel, and dropping the screen recorder button. Among the new additions, Kali has added a shortcut for a text editor, a web browser icon, and a drop-down menu to select users for the default terminal.
Furthermore, you can now see a new “Open as Root” option by right-clicking in the main window of Xfce default file manager Thunar.
Other Changes in Kali Linux 2021.2
- New default login wallpaper and desktop background.
- Restructured the Bleeding-Edge branch.
- Unprivileged access to TCP and UDP ports under 1024.
- Support for Parallels virtualization software on Apple M1.
- Built-in Bluetooth for Raspberry Pi 4 and 400.
- Kali NetHunter support for Android 11 on several devices.
- Improved Raspberry Pi image to fully support RPi 400 model.
- Docker support for ARM64 and ARM v7.
- Win-KeX upgraded to v2.10 that supports multiscreen.
Download DVD ISO Images Of Kali Linux 2021.2
Kali Linux offers three types of images: Installer, NetInstaller, and Live. Installer image provides complete offline installation with the customization and no network connection.
Contrary to Installer, NetInstaller image needs an internet connection to download all packages during installation. And if you wish to use Kali Linux without installing it first, a Live image is what you should download.
Also, the ISO image of Kali Linux is available to download for both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures. Moreover, images are pre-built and pre-configured for each platform including bare metal, virtual machines, ARM, Mobile, Cloud, and WSL.